Summer where are you going?!! While the end of our favorite season may be coming to an end, that’s all the more reason to enjoy one last summer party of the season. In Southern California that doesn’t really mean putting away the grill, but even here lots of us like to get one last cookout in before fall hits.
In honor of Labor Day, we can’t think of anything more appropriate than a backyard BBQ and Pool party. Gather the friends and fam, while putting these 10 DIYs to use for the most unforgettable party of the season.
Pick a Theme
Labor Day weekend is a popular weekend for cookouts, weekend getaways and pool parties. To celebrate these last few days of summer, start planning a theme for your Labor Day party.
Labor Day is about celebrating patriotism and having a theme can help highlight all things American.
Whiteout themed party: For those of you who are unaware of the Labor Day white rule, it goes like this: you’re not supposed to wear white after Labor Day. Some people believe that this rule applies primarily to white shoes and others believe that all white items are a faux pas after Labor Day. A lot of people ignore the rule completely. Wherever you fall in the “no white after Labor Day” spectrum, a Whiteout party is a great way to poke a little fun at “the rules.” Ask your guests to wear as much white as possible and have fun with this party theme yourself. You could incorporate white into your decorations and party menu as well!
Red, White, and Blue party: Ask everyone to wear red, white, and blue! Incorporate the colors of the flag and use the theme in your decorations as well by having American flags, stars and stripes, and the colors displayed throughout the party space.
DIY Labor Day Ideas
1. Summer Fruit Kabobs : This weekend-Summer ain’t over! A fruit garland kabob will be a fun addition to your outdoor party scene.
2. Pool Party Movie Night: Set up your very own outdoor movie theater and entertain guests with a fun summer movie.
3. Watermelon on a Stick: Labor Day is synonymous with the end of summer and summer is synonymous with watermelon…
4. DIY Pineapple Table Runner: Yup, it’s happening. A DIY pineapple tablescape is pretty much inevitable since we still can’t get pineapples off our mind.
5. Fruit Ice Cubes: For a backyard party, these fruit ice cubes will be a colorful way to add some flair to everyone’s drink of choice.
6. Veggie Sliders Party: It’s not a BBQ party unless sliders are involved! The best thing about these vegetarian bite-sized veggie burgers is that they can be customized with all different kinds of toppings and sauces. Make sure guests come with an appetite.
7. Tomato, mozzarella and basil skewers: Take full advantage of your Labor Day party to serve lots of grilled dishes. Some great ideas for your Labor Day party menu.
8. Make-your-own ice cream sundaes: Plan to roast s’mores, give them jars to catch fireflies, or set up a Make-your-own ice cream sundaes with a variety of flavors and toppings.
9. Seasonal Fruit Pies: Saying goodbye to grilling weather also means saying goodbye to summer fruit, so Labor Day is the time to get in one last cherry pie, blackberry cobbler, or strawberry ice cream. If you have been spending too much time thinking about the homemade pie seasonal fruit pies, simple strawberry shortcakes, or an effortless angel food cake is a great way to celebrate the end of summer.
10. Summer Strawberry Pie: When we are in the mood for pie, usually we gravitate towards this ultra-summery pie. The filling is made of strawberry puree, macerated berries which gets poured into a simple graham cracker crust. This preserves the fresh flavor of the fruit. If you want the flavors of a traditional cooked pie without having to deal with a crust then cobblers would be the next best choice. Fruit filling covered with a biscuit crust. Cobbler is filled with blackberries, raspberries, and a pinch of cinnamon. The raspberries are there mostly to help round out the flavor of sour blackberries, so you can use 100% blackberries if they are sweet enough.
Decorate for the Occasion
Present and display fun, festive, and casual decorations for Labor Day parties. Use the colors red, white, and blue as a guideline for party accessories, balloons, plates, cups, and everything else you think of for decoration. Aside from focusing on the American aspect of the holiday also tie in some classic Picnic decor such as rustic centerpieces filled with seasonal flowers and classic picnic table covers over each tabletop. You could also finalize your decorations with lighting to create a wonderful ambiance. Lanterns or tiki torchlight’s are perfect for any outdoor party.
Stay relaxed while you entertain on this three day weekend! Happy Labor Day